This is a traditional Monte Cristo recipe but instead of raspberry jam we made a honey mustard spread. To give the honey mustard spread a bit of kick, we added some finely diced chipotle peppers. We could have gotten the same effect with a few drops of hot sauce. You can season the spread to your taste.
8 slices hearty bread
3 large eggs
2 tablespoons milk
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
1/8 teaspoon white pepper
8 slices of provolone or Swiss cheese
1/2 pound thinly sliced deli ham
1/4 cup honey
2 tablespoons prepared mustard
a dash of dried chipotle peppers or hot sauce
- Set aside eight slices of hearty bread. If all you have is very light bread that may come apart when dipped in the egg mixture, toast the bread.
- Mix the eggs, milk, salt, dry mustard, and white pepper together in a shallow bowl.
- Make the honey spread by mixing the honey, prepared mustard and peppers together. Set aside.
- Place a slice of cheese on four of the slices.
- Layer the honey mustard spread on the four cheese slices.
- Cover with the deli ham.
- Add another thin layer of spread, then cheese, and then top with the remaining bread slices to make a sandwich.
- Heat a griddle or large frying pan. Melt a little butter just before frying the sandwiches.
- Dip the sandwiches in the egg mixture, turn the sandwich in the egg mixture, and place the sandwiches on the hot griddle.
- Fry as you would a grilled cheese sandwich, turning the sandwich when one side is golden brown.
- Serve hot.