If you like the combination of chocolate, honey and oats, you’ll like these hearty bar cookies. They are made without flour but plenty of oats. The recipe calls for milk chocolate chips but if you prefer a dark, richer chocolate, use semi-sweet chocolate chips. (Be sure and grease your pan well with shortening. If you don’t the honey base will stick like glue.)
3/4 cup melted butter
4 cups quick rolled oats
1 cup brown sugar
1/3 cup honey
2 teaspoons vanilla
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 1/4 cups milk chips
1/2 cup chopped nuts
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
Visit The Cookie Center
1. Melt the butter in a large mixing bowl in the microwave. Add the rolled oats and stir. Add the brown sugar, honey, vanilla, and salt. Mix well.
2. Press the mixture firmly and evenly into the bottom of a very well greased 8 1/2 x 13-inch baking pan.
3. Bake for about 14 minutes or until the mixture turns a golden brown and is bubbly. Remove from the oven and cool for five minutes.
4. Sprinkle the chocolate chips over the top of the hot cookies. Place the cookies back in the still-warm oven for a few minutes. When the chips start to melt and look “wet”, spread the chips across the top as you would frosting. Immediately sprinkle with nuts.
5. Let cool at room temperature until the chocolate is firm. Cut into bars with a sharp knife.