This is a wonderful, hand-formed cookie that is loved by both adults and children. It’s attractive and easy. The powdered sugar on these fudgy cookies seems to make them melt in your mouth. Add this recipe to your collection.
2 cups all purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup shortening
4 ounces unsweetened baking chocolate
2 cups sugar
4 large eggs
1/2 tablespoon vanilla
- Mix flour, baking powder, and salt together in a small bowl.
- Place the chocolate in a microwave-proof bowl. Add the shortening and microwave until the chocolate melts, stirring once or twice.
- Add the sugar to the chocolate mixture and stir until smooth or mix in a stand-type mixer with a paddlewheel attachment.
- Add the eggs one at a time, beating between each egg until combined. Add the vanilla. Chill the dough for several hours.
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Form round balls about one inch in diameter from spoonfuls of the chilled dough. Roll the balls in powdered sugar. Place them on a lightly greased baking sheet with room to expand.
- Bake for ten or eleven minutes. The cookies will still be soft. (Do not over bake.) Remove them to a wire rack to cool.
Makes four to five dozen cookies.
Visit The Cookie Center
Free articles and recipes | Free E-books | Tips | Tools | Ingredients