Recently we had some left over homemade apple filling. It was really good stuff. We put it on ice cream and cake. Why not put it on pancakes?
So we took some good Fuji apples and made up another batch with these fresh apples, not dried (though we could have used the dried apples). Then we toasted walnuts in maple syrup and scooped both the apples and nuts over hot pancakes and drizzled the whole stack with maple syrup. It was very good.
Apple Pancakes with Maple Crusted walnuts Recipe
These wonderful pancakes are made in three steps but you don’t need to invest a lot of time. Get up a little early to make the apple topping or better yet, make it the night before. (It won’t take long to make the topping once you peel and core the apples.) It takes only a few minutes to toast the walnuts. Use your favorite mix for the pancakes.
For the topping
4 cups cooking apples, peeled, cored, and diced (about 5 medium apples)
1/2 cup water
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/8 teaspoon allspice
1 dash teaspoon ground cloves
2 tablespoons butter
1. In a medium uncovered saucepan, mix the apples, water, and sugar. Put on low heat and cook for about fifteen minutes, stirring occasionally or until the apples are tender.
2. Stir in the spices and the butter and let the topping cook for another minute. Set the topping aside.
For the nuts
1 cup chopped walnuts
1 tablespoon butter
3 tablespoons maple syrup
1/8 teaspoon salt
1. In a medium nonstick skillet over medium heat, toast the nuts for about three minutes. Remove from the heat.
2. Stir in the butter, syrup, and salt and return to the heat. Cook, stirring constantly, until the syrup and butter are absorbed and the nuts look glossy. Remove from heat and set aside.
Make the pancakes per the package instructions. Top with the warm apple mixture and then sprinkle with toasted nuts. Serve with additional maple syrup.
Perfect Pancakes deserve great syrups. Discover the Best
The Prepared Pantry offers a great selection of gourmet pancake mixes:
- Buttermilk Pancake Mix
- Baked Apple Pancake Mix
- Honey Gold Pancake Mix
- Gingerbread Pancake Mix
- Country Wheat Pancake Mix
- Mayan Chocolate Chip Pancake Mix
- Sour Cream Chocolate Chip Pancake Mix
- Cinnamon Chip Pancake Mix
- Maple Chip Pancake Mix.
- Raspberry Sour Cream Pancake Mix
- Blueberry Cream Cheese Pancake Mix
- Texas Corn Cakes