Fresh strawberries make a wonderful pannekoeken. Simply loading a pannekoeken with sweetened strawberry slices and topping it with whipped cream—as you would for strawberry shortcake—may be our favorite.
If you prefer, you can top fresh strawberries with a glaze from your favorite strawberry pie recipe. In this recipe, we spread a cream cheese filling over the pannekoeken before adding the strawberries.
For the Pannekoeken:
1/4 cup butter
3 large eggs
1/8 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup milk
3/4 cup all-purpose flour
1. Place the butter in a Dutch Baby pan or an ovenproof skillet with rounded sides.
2. Preheat your oven to 425 degrees. Put the rack in the center, not the top, shelf. When you turn the oven on, place the pan with the butter in the oven. When the oven reaches 250 degrees the butter should be melted. Remove the pan from the oven.
3. Whisk the eggs and the salt in a medium bowl. Add the milk. Whisk in the flour until nearly smooth. Your batter is now ready.
4. Pour the batter into the pan.
5. Bake for 15 to 18 minutes or until the top starts to turn golden brown.
For the cream cheese filling:
2/3 of 8-ounce package of cream cheese
1/2 cup ricotta cheese
3 tablespoons sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 teaspoon orange zest
In a medium bowl, beat all ingredients with an electric mixer until smooth.
To assemble the pannekoeken:
Spread the cream cheese filling over the bottom of the pannekoeken. Top with 2 to 3 cups sliced strawberries that have been tossed in sugar, just enough to sweeten the berries a bit. Garnish with whipped cream.
Join us at the “How to Bake Cooking Club.”
Free How to Bake E-book: Learn the art and science of baking with our free “How to Bake” E-book. With 445 pages, you will learn the techniques the pros use. Just tell us where to send it.
Follow us. If you would like to follow us and receive more articles and offers, let us know here.
Share this with your friends who love to cook and bake!