This is a traditional quiche with turkey and broccoli made in a deep dish pan. We spiced it with a little nutmeg and thought it was just right. You can reduce the amount or leave it out if you are not a nutmeg fan.
Complete Culinary School without Tuition!
Learn the art and science of baking with our free “How to Bake” ebook. With 453 pages, you will learn the techniques the pros use.
- 1 9-inch deep dish pie shell, unbaked
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 cup chopped frozen cut broccoli pieces, set on the counter to thaw
- 1 cup chopped cooked turkey
- 1/3 cup shredded Swiss cheese
- 5 eggs
- 1 1/2 cups half-and-half or a combination of heavy cream and milk
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
Preheat the oven to 425 degrees.
- Sauté the onion in the butter. Set aside.
- If the broccoli is not nearly thawed, defrost it in the microwave. Turn the broccoli onto a paper towel and pat dry. Spread the cooked onion, broccoli, turkey, and cheese on the bottom of the unbaked pie shell.
- In a medium bowl, whisk the eggs, half-and-half, nutmeg, and salt together. Pour the egg mixture over the broccoli and into the pie shell.
- Bake for 15 minutes at 425 degrees. Reduce the heat to 325° and continue baking for about 20 to 25 minutes, or until a knife inserted in center comes out clean.
Baker’s notes: If you like, you can place the pan on the wire rack of your oven and then pour the egg mixture in. That way, you will not need to worry about spilling the filling on the way to the oven.
You will need a deep dish pie pan for this dish. A dark metal deep dish pan will help bake the crust and eliminate a soggy crust. Placing the pan in the lower third of the oven where it will receive more heat on the bottom of the pan will help also.
Learn more at the “Quiche Resource Center.“
Join us at the “How to Bake Cooking School.”
Follow us. If you would like to follow us and receive more articles and offers, tell us where to send them.
Share this with your friends who love to cook and bake!