This is an excellent stuffed pepper recipe. The ricotta cheese is not as heavy as many recipes and Italian sausage creates the robust flavor needed to complement the bell peppers. Choose different colored peppers for a very attractive presentation.
I love stuffed peppers. They’re easy to make and if you don’t have something, substitute. They’re pretty forgiving.
See these hacks:
- The last couple times, I’ve used ground beef instead of Italian sausage. It’s not the same but if you use enough Italian seasoning, it’s close enough.
- Merri Ann can’t eat wheat so instead of breadcrumbs, I use rice. I always have microwave rice packets in the cupboard so that’s an easy substitution. The rice only takes 90 seconds in the microwave to cook.
- I like my peppers cooked until they are soft. But that takes too long in the oven. So, I stick the peppers in the microwave and partially cook them—about half done. That greatly reduces the baking time.
- I cook eight at a time in an oversized baking pan and refrigerate or freeze the leftovers for future meals. To make that many, I increase the ingredients in the recipe by 50%.
6 medium bell peppers, any color
1 1/2 medium sweet onions, peeled and diced
1 pound ground Italian sausage
1 1/2 cups ricotta cheese
1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
1 1/4 cups dry bread crumbs
1/2 teaspoon salt
3 tablespoons capers, patted dry and chopped
3 large eggs
1/4 cup fresh parsley, chopped
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Wash the bell peppers. Cut the tops off the peppers and scoop the seeds and membranes from the peppers. Set aside.
- Brown the sausage. Set the sausage aside in a colander to drain. Sauté the onions.
- Mix the cooked sausage, onions, cheeses, breadcrumbs, salt, capers, eggs, and parsley together in a large bowl.
- Fill the peppers with the stuffing. Set them on a rack with a pan under the rack to catch any drippings. Bake them for 45 to 55 minutes.
- American Spaghetti Carbonara
Follow us. If you would like to follow us and receive more articles and offers, tell us where to send them.
Share this with your friends who love to cook and bake!