No collection of pumpkin recipes would be complete without a good pumpkin bread recipe. This recipe makes a dark, moist loaf flavored with pumpkin, spices, brown sugar, and molasses. We served it spread with whipped cream cheese mixed with Red Currant Jelly and it was delicious.
Like most quick breads, this bread improves in flavor after being refrigerated overnight. With whole wheat and vitamin-rich pumpkin, this is a healthy choice.
4 large eggs
3/4 cup vegetable oil
1/2 cup buttermilk
1 cup canned pumpkin
1 cup molasses
1 cup brown sugar
2 cups whole wheat flour
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
2 teaspoons baking soda
2 teaspoons cinnamon
1 teaspoon nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
3/4 cup chopped walnuts, optional
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
1. Stir the eggs, buttermilk, oil, canned pumpkin, molasses, and brown sugar together in a bowl.
2. In another bowl, mix the flours, salt, baking soda, and spices together.
3. Add the dry ingredients to the wet and stir until combined. Add the optional walnuts.
4. Scrape the batter into two medium (about 8 1/2 by 4 1/2 inches) baking pans that have greased and floured.
5. Bake for about 50 minutes or until the bread tests done with a toothpick. Let cool in the pan for three or four minutes and then remove the loaves to cool on a wire rack. Once the bread is cooled, wrap completely and refrigerate.