We took a favorite Farm Journal recipe, one that we have had since 1977, and adapted it for mini bundt cakes. These little cakes proved excellent served with the caramel sauce and/or ice cream. These are also excellent with cream syrups.
3 tablespoons butter
1 cup granulated sugar
1 large egg
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
1 3/4 cups diced, pared apples
1/4 cups walnuts
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Spray oil into the cavities of a mini-bundt cake pan and lightly dust them with flour.
- Cream the butter and sugar together. Add the egg and vanilla and beat well.
- Whisk flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg together in another bowl.
- Make a well in the dry ingredients and add the wet ingredients to the dry. Mix together.
- Add the apples and nuts to the batter. Spoon the batter evenly into the mini-bundt pan. Bake for 14 to 16 minutes or until top springs back when touched. Cool 5 minutes before removing from pans.
- Top with the caramel sauce. The recipe follows.
For the caramel sauce:
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup butter
1/4 cup cream or evaporated milk
- Blend brown sugar, butter and cream together and microwave for 2 minutes.
- Mix well and add vanilla.
- Top cakes while warm.