1 1/3 cups sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
2/3 cup (10 2/3 tablespoons) butter
2 large eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 1/4 cups flour
1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
3/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/3 cup Dutch cocoa
2 tablespoons sugar
2 teaspoons cinnamon
Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
1. Cream together the sugar, salt, and butter. Beat in the eggs one at time. Continue beating until the mixture is light and fluffy, at least four minutes. Add the vanilla.
2. Add the flour, cream of tartar, baking soda and cocoa and mix until combined. Chill the dough for one hour.
3. With your hands, form the dough into one-inch or slightly larger, balls. Mix the remaining sugar and cinnamon together. Roll the balls in the cinnamon-sugar mixture.
4. Place the balls on an ungreased baking sheet about 1 1/2 to 2 inches apart and bake for 11 minutes or until done. Do not over bake. Cool on wire racks.
Visit The Cookie Center
• For pinto-type cookies, roll the cookies generously in powdered sugar rather than a cinnamon and sugar mixture. Bake as directed.
• For crunchy-topped cookies, roll the cookies generously in turbinado sugar rather than a cinnamon and sugar mixture. Bake as directed.
The baker’s comments
We really liked the mixture of cinnamon and chocolate in the original version. But then, the crunch from turbinado sugar was very good also.
It is very important that you measure the flour properly and that you do not over bake the cookies.