These are our favorite breakfast popovers. Again, you put a cube of cheese in the bottom of the popover cups but add the bacon bits to the batter.
4 large eggs
1 cup milk
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup high protein bread flour
6 slices of bacon cooked and chopped
2 teaspoons dried chives or two tablespoons fresh chives, snipped
6 3/4-inch chunks of cheddar cheese
Preheat the oven to 425 degrees.
1. In a medium bowl and with a whisk or whisk attachment, beat the eggs, milk, and salt together.
2. Change to the paddle attachment. Beat in the flour until it is completely smooth. Continue mixing for several minutes to develop the gluten. Add the bacon pieces and chives.
3. Use a pastry brush  to grease the insides of the popover cups with butter. If you are using a muffin pan, grease every other cup. Crumble a cube of cheese in the bottom of each cup.
4. Fill the cups two-thirds full. Bake at high heat for twenty minutes. Reduce the heat to 350 degrees and continue baking for 15 minutes. (Different ovens cool differently and may require different times.) Turn off the oven.
5. Open the oven door and quickly make a one-inch slit in the side of each popover to release the steam. Close the oven door and let stand in the oven for ten minutes or until the popovers are dry and firm enough to avoid collapsing.
6. Remove the popovers from the oven. Lift the popovers from the pan immediately by grasping the tops with an oven mitt. Let them cool slightly before serving.