What makes this version American is the cream and ample addition of cheese. It is a rich pasta dish but very good.
The raw eggs are tossed with the hot pasta and the hot pasta cooks the eggs. Because the eggs are not completely cooked, we recommend pasteurized eggs or blended egg replacement.
1 1/2 pound spaghetti
3/4 pound bacon, cut into 3/4-inch pieces with kitchen shears
1 large onion, diced
2 tablespoons olive oil
1/3 cup white cooking wine
5 large eggs or an equal amount of egg replacement
1/3 cup cream
2/3 cup Romano or Parmesan cheese, grated and divided
salt and pepper
- Cook the spaghetti in salted water per the package instructions.
- Sauté the bacon and onion in the olive oil until the onion is tender and translucent. The bacon should not be cooked to crisp. Add the cooking wine and boil to remove the alcohol.
- Whip the eggs, cream, and half the cheese together using a fork.
- Drain the spaghetti as soon as it is cooked and immediately add the egg mixture, tossing as the mixture is poured it. (It is important that the egg mixture be added while the spaghetti is still hot to cook the eggs.) Add the bacon and onion mixture. Salt and pepper to taste. Serve hot sprinkled with the remaining cheese.
- Spaghetti with Homemade Sauce
Follow us. If you would like to follow us and receive more articles and offers, tell us where to send them.
Share this with your friends who love to cook and bake!