What a nice twist on an angel food cake! This angel food cake is sweetened with honey, has a touch of orange, and is lightly spiced with sweet cinnamon and nutmeg. Load it up with whipped cream and sliced bananas or strawberries and you’ll have a wonderful dessert.
This recipe adds a bit of spices, orange zest, and honey to a basic angel food cake for a wonderful change of pace.
1 1/4 cups all-purpose or cake flour
3/4 cup powdered sugar
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
14 large egg whites
1/2 tablespoon cream of tartar
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup honey
2/3 cups granulated sugar
2 tablespoons fresh orange zest
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
1. In a medium bowl, sift the flour, powdered sugar, cinnamon, and nutmeg together. Set aside.
2. Beat the egg whites with the cream of tartar on medium speed until soft peaks form. Add the salt. With the mixer on low speed, gradually drizzle the honey into the egg whites. Gradually pour the granulated sugar into the egg whites with the mixer running.
3. Sift about 1/3 of the flour mixture over the egg whites. Sprinkle the zest over the flour. With a spatula, gently fold the flour into the egg whites disturbing the fragile structure of the egg whites as little as possible. Repeat the process with the other 2/3’s of the flour mixture in two stages.
4. Gently scrape the batter into an ungreased tube pan. (A greased pan will cause the cake to collapse.) Bake for 40 minutes at 350 degrees or until done.
5. Immediately invert the pan and let cool. When the cake is nearly cool, use a knife or metal spatula to loosen the cake from the sides of the pan and remove it. Serve with whipped cream and sliced bananas (or other fruit).