If you are in the mood for a rich, buttery cookie, you’ll like these thumbprints. These rich little cookies are easy to make. Mix up the dough and add a dab of your favorite jam half way through baking. We love the crunch of the poppy seeds but if you prefer, you can omit them.
Catch our selection of gourmet Pioneer Valley Jams.
3 cups all-purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 cup poppy seeds
1 1/2 cups butter (3 sticks)
1 cup granulated sugar
1 large egg plus one large yolk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
jams of your choice
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Mix the flour, salt, baking powder, and poppy seeds together in a medium bowl.
- Cream the butter and the sugar together. Add the eggs and vanilla. Beat until light and fluffy.
- Add the dry ingredients and mix until combined. Do not over mix so as to develop the gluten in the flour.
- Form round balls slightly smaller than golf balls. Place them on an ungreased baking sheet two inches apart. Use a 1/2-inch dowel or utensil handle to press a depression in the cookie tops. Bake for ten minutes.
- Remove the cookies from the oven. Again use the dowel to press the hole down. Fill the whole with a bit of jam or jelly by pushing the jam off a teaspoon with your finger. Return the cookies to the oven and bake for another four minutes. Remove the cookies from the oven, let cool for a minute or so on the sheet, and then remove the cookies to a wire rack to cool completely.