It seems like moon pies have been around forever. I remember going into the corner store with my after-school buddies and buying them—chocolaty cake-like cookies with a marshmallow filling. Now you can make your own.
I also remember an oatmeal version with marshmallow filling. Grab one of your oatmeal cookie recipes and combine oatmeal cookies with this filling.
1/2 cup butter
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 large egg
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
3/4 cup pure dark chocolate chips or semisweet chips
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1. Cream the butter and sugars together with the paddle attachment of your mixer. Add the salt, egg, and vanilla and beat until smooth. Melt the chips, add them to the mixture, and combine.
2. Add the flour and baking soda and beat until combined.
3. Refrigerate the dough for 20 minutes to firm up slightly.
4. Divide the dough into two portions. Using wax paper, roll each portion into logs 1 3/4-inches in diameter. Refrigerate for two hours or until firm.
5. Preheat the oven to 325 degrees. Cut cookies into slices just thicker than 3/8 inch. Place them on a greased baking sheet and bake 12 minutes or until the cookies are done. Cool on a wire rack.