If you like lemon meringue pie and blueberry muffins, you’ll love this combination.
These little cakes make easy, formal-looking desserts. They look elegant when made in a mini bundt cake pan but they can also be made in a jumbo muffin pan. (You may see several different types of mini bundt cake pans here.) The desserts shown were made in a mini bundt cake pan. For more desserts made in a mini bundt cake pan, see this e-book of mini bundt cake desserts.
2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 tablespoon baking soda
1 teaspoon baking power
1/4 teaspoon salt
the zest from two medium lemons
1/2 cup butter
1 1/2 cups sugar
3 large eggs
3/4 cup buttermilk
1/3 cup lemon juice (approximately two lemons)
2 cups individually frozen blueberries
Baker’s note: These little cakes can also be made with blueberry tidbits. Blueberry tidbits are similar to chocolate chips but are of different shape and are made with blueberry puree.
Preheat the oven to 325 degrees. Prepare the pan by greasing well and flouring the bottoms.
- Mix the flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt and zest together.
- Cream the butter and sugar together. Add the eggs one at a time and beat until the mixture is fluffy and lemon-colored.
- Add half the dry ingredients, then half the liquids, then the remainder of the dry ingredients and the remainder of the liquids, mixing briefly after each addition.
- Fold in the berries.
- Spoon the batter in the prepared cups.
- Bake for 30 to 45 minutes depending on the size of the cakes. The cakes should be golden and a toothpick inserted in the center of the cakes should come out clean when done. Cool on wire racks.
- Serve with Lemon Sauce.
1/3 cup lemon juice
2/3 cup water
3/4 cup sugar
2 tablespoons cornstarch
the zest from two lemons
4 tablespoons butter
Mix all the ingredients except the butter in a heavy saucepan. Heat over medium heat, stirring often, until the mixture boils. Gently boil for a few minutes or until the mixture thickens. Remove from the heat and stir in the butter. Cool until the sauce thickens to serving consistency.