See over 40 additional recipes
For even more recipes and methods, get free e-books!
There are many chocolate cheesecake recipes but this is one of the better ones. But no matter the recipe, the chocolate counts. Make sure that you use good quality chocolate. We used chocolate wafers but you can get by with chocolate chips. Wafers have a finer grind but you won’t notice it in a cheesecake. You will need a ten-inch springform pan. Our glass-base springform pans are perfect.
Additional Recipes and References
- Free! How to Bake, a free 250 page baking book
- Free! Easy Cheesecakes from A to Z (Includes “A Cheesecake Troubleshooting Guide)
- Free! A Manual for No-Bake Cheesecakes
- Springform Pans from Round to Square
- Click to see the Cheesecake Recipe Index with over 40 additional recipes
For the crust:
1 3/4 cups graham cracker crumbs
4 tablespoons butter, melted
2 tablespoons granulated sugar
For the filling:
3 8-ounce packages of cream cheese
1 1/3 cups granulated sugar
4 large eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 cups dark chocolate wafers or 1 1/2 cups dark chocolate chips
Preheat the oven to 325 degrees. Set the oven rack to the lower third of the oven.
- In a ten-inch springform pan, mix the graham cracker crumbs, melted butter, and sugar together. Press the mixture across the bottom of the pan and up the sides to form the crust. Put the crust in the refrigerator while you mix the filling.
- With the paddle attachment of your stand-type mixer, slowly beat the cream cheese and sugar together until nearly smooth. Add the eggs and vanilla and beat until just mixed, still on slow speed. Melt the chocolate. Drizzle in the melted chocolate while the beaters are running. Pour the filling into the crust.
- Bake for 50 minutes or until the cake is done. Let it cool on a wire rack. After ten minutes, loosen the sides with a spatula and remove the ring.
- Refrigerate the cheesecake to cool completely.
Baker’s note: Drizzle in the chocolate while it is still warm. If the chocolate cools too rapidly, you will have clumps in the cheesecake.