If you like chocolate and you like shortbread, you’ll love this tender, melt-in-your-mouth recipe. With only five ingredients, this is an easy, simple recipe. Be sure and let the cookies cool completely before cutting them and removing them from the pan.
Chocolate Shortbread Bars
1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
1 1/2 cup (3 cubes) butter
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 cups all-purpose flour
Visit The Cookie Center
Preheat the oven to 325 degrees
1. Melt the chips in a bowl in the microwave, stirring twice as they melt. Set the melted chocolate aside to cool.
2. Cream the butter, sugar, and salt together. Beat until very light and fluffy. Add the melted chocolate and keep beating.
3. Measure the flour by spooning it into the measuring cup. (If you scoop the flour from the bag, it will be packed and you will have too much flour.) Add the flour to the creamed mixture, beating until combined.
4. Remove the dough from the bowl to an 8 1/2 by 13-inch baking pan that has been lightly greased with shortening or butter. With the palm of your hand, pat and press the dough to evenly distribute it. To get an even finish, pat the top with a spatula. With the tines of a fork, prick through the dough every 1/2-inch or so.
5. Bake for 30 minutes or until the top starts to look dry and puffy. Remove the pan to cool on a wire rack. Let the cookies cool completely before cutting. Use a ruler to measure the cuts uniformly and a sharp, serrated knife to cut the cookies.