Whoever came up with this idea should be sainted. Imagine an apple pie in a popover. There is more popover here than apple pie and we loved them and wouldn’t change a thing.
1 tablespoon butter
1 1/2 baking apples, chopped
2 tablespoon sugar
1 teaspoon cinnamon
4 large eggs
1 cup milk
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup high protein bread flour
1/4 cup chopped pecans
Preheat the oven to 425 degrees.
1. Melt the butter in a sauté or heavy frying pan Add apples, sugar, and cinnamon, cook till apples are tender. Set aside.
1. In a medium bowl and with a whisk or whisk attachment, beat the eggs, milk, and salt together.
2. Change to the paddle attachment. Beat in the flour until it is completely smooth. Continue mixing for several minutes to develop the gluten. Stir in the pecans.
3. Use a pastry brush to grease the insides of the popover cups with butter. If you are using a muffin pan, grease every other cup. Divide the filling, putting an equal amount in the bottom of each cup.
4. Pour the batter over the filling, filling the cups half full. Fill the cups two-thirds full. Bake at high heat for twenty minutes. Reduce the heat to 350 degrees and continue baking for 15 minutes. (Different ovens cool differently and may require different times.) Turn off the oven.
5. Open the oven door and quickly make a one-inch slit in the side of each popover to release the steam. Close the oven door and let stand in the oven for ten minutes or until the popovers are dry and firm enough to avoid collapsing.
6. Remove the popovers from the oven. Lift the popovers from the pan immediately by grasping the tops with an oven mitt. Let them cool slightly before serving.
Print This Post