Whole wheat cupcakes don’t sound great, but these are surprisingly good.
Whole wheat cupcakes are light and soft, not dense at all and they are made with apples, walnuts, and honey and topped with a cream cheese frosting. We served these at one of our cooking classes and people thought they were very good.
- 1/2 cup butter
- 2/3 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs
- 2 cups stone-ground whole-wheat flour
- 1/2 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 cup grated unpeeled apples
- 2/3 cup chopped walnuts
For the frosting
- 4 ounces cream cheese
- 1/4 cup butter
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 tablespoon water
Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Line a regular muffin tin with paper liners.
- Cream the butter and brown sugar together. Add the honey, eggs, and vanilla extract and beat together.
- Whisk the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, and nutmeg together in another bowl.
- Add about one-third of the flour mixture to the creamed mixture, then about one-half of the apples. Repeat with the flour, then apples, then flour to complete the mixing.
- Mix until just combined. Add the nuts.
- Spoon the batter into the muffin cups. The recipe will make about 24 cupcakes.
- Bake 18 to 20 minutes or until done. Let it cool on a wire rack.
- For the frosting, mix the cream cheese and butter together. Add the powdered sugar and the water a bit at time and mix to a spreadable consistency. Frost the cupcakes.