This is a variation on Homemade Marshmallow Cream and Strawberry or Cherry Marshmallow Cream. We used it to make sandwich cookies and they were certainly good but a bit sticky. This recipe makes a wonderful filling for a layer cake and works well as a frosting.
Chocolate Marshmallow Cream Recipe
You will need a candy thermometer to make this recipe. Compare types here:
3 large egg whites
1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
2 tablespoons granulated sugar
1/3 cup water
3/4 cup light corn syrup
2/3 cup granulated sugar
1/2 tablespoon vanilla extract
1/4 cup cocoa
- Beat the egg whites: In a very clean glass or metal bowl, beat the egg whites and cream of tartar until light and foamy. With the mixer still running, sprinkle in the two tablespoons of sugar. Continue beating until soft peaks form. Set aside.
- Make the sugar syrup: In a small saucepan, mix the water, corn syrup, and the 2/3 cup granulated sugar together. Cook over medium heat until it is ready to boil, 210 degrees. Do not stir past this point. Continue to boil without stirring until it reaches 240 degrees. Do not overcook.
- Add the sugar syrup to the egg whites: Immediately drizzle the hot syrup in a thin stream into the egg whites with the mixer running on low. Turn the mixer to high and beat for five or six minutes or until the sauce is very fluffy and the consistency of marshmallow cream. Beat in the extract.
Let the marshmallow cream cool completely before filling the cookies.
Note: This cream is of the consistency that it can be piped as you would frosting.
- Ten Ways to Make Flavored Whipped Cream
- Fillings for Sandwich Cookies
- The Most Popular Dessert in the World: Sticky Toffee Pudding
- How to Make Whoopie Pies
Follow us. If you would like to follow us and receive more articles and offers, tell us where to send them.
Share this with your friends who love to cook and bake!