This is a traditional Waldorf salad made with apples, raisins, and walnuts and tossed with mayonnaise. We think of this as a harvest-time salad but all that is really required are good crisp apples. You can usually get good apples year around but if you don’t have good apples, don’t bother making a Waldorf salad.
- 3 cups coarsely chopped apples, about 3 medium apples
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup mayonnaise, or to taste
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped walnuts
- salad greens or lettuce
- Toss the apples with the sugar, salt, and mayonnaise to coat.
- Add the raisins, celery, and nuts.
- Serve on greens.