We have used this recipe for piroshki, pies, and turnovers. It is excellent, makes a very workable dough, and is not difficult.
- 3 1/2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup cold butter
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup sour cream
- Sift the flour, baking powder, salt, and sugar into a bowl.
- Cut the butter into 1/2-inch cubes and add it to the flour.
- Cut the butter into the flour with a pastry knife until it is the consistency of oatmeal.
- In another bowl, whisk the eggs and sour cream together until it is smooth.
- Add the egg mixture to the flour mixture and stir into a mass.
- Remove the dough ball to a floured counter and knead just until smooth and no longer so as not to develop the gluten in the flour.
- Cover the dough ball and chill it in the refrigerator for an hour.