Keep this versatile recipe on your recipe shelf. Whip it out for birthdays, when you’re in a hurry, or even guests. Make Pineapple Upside Down Cake, Boston Cream Pie, or California Lemon Cake. Double it to make a white layer cake. You’ll find this recipe easy and use it so often that it will feel like an everyday recipe. As a birthday cake or an everyday cake, this is a white cake recipe that you can count on.
- 1 cups sugar
- 1/4 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 cup shortening
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 1/2 tablespoons baking powder
- 3/4 cups milk
Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Grease and dust with flour a single 9-inch round cake pan for a single layer cake. Dust two if you are doubling the recipe for a layer cake.
- Cream the sugar, salt, and shortening together. Add the egg and beat until light and fluffy. Add the vanilla.
- In another bowl, mix the flour and baking powder together.
- Add about one-third of the dry ingredients to the creamed mixture and mix briefly. Add about one-third of the milk and mix. Continue twice more with the remaining flour and milk. Do not over mix. Scrape the batter into the pan.
- Bake for 25 to 30 minutes or until the cake tests done with a toothpick.
- Let the cake rest in the pan for about five minutes and then remove it to a wire rack to continue cooling.
Recipes that use this cake: