Candied nuts make a great snack. Consider them as a snack at home, in a lunch box, or on a road trip. They are a high energy food for camping and hiking trips.
Instead of sprinkling chopped nuts on your next sundae or banana split, consider candied nuts. (You may wish to chop your candied nuts a bit finer before sprinkling them on the ice cream.)
- 2 cups whole hazelnuts
- 2/3 cups granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla flavoring
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup water
Preheat the oven to 325 degrees.
- Place the whole hazelnuts, sugar, vanilla, salt, and water in a bowl and mix together.
- Cover a large cookie sheet with parchment paper. Spread the nut mixture on the parchment paper.
- Bake for 10 minutes; then remove the pan from the oven.
- Stir the nuts with a stiff spatula; then spread them again to continue baking. Return the pan to the oven and bake for another 10 minutes.
- Remove the pan from the oven. If there is syrup around the edges, stir it one more time into the nuts. Then let the nuts cool on the parchment paper.
- When they have cooled completely, break the nut clusters apart and place them on a plate. The nuts will become crunchier as they dry.