Once you have made these treats with jam, you’ll never go back to the plain variety. The jam adds sweetness and flavor to the cereal.
Of course, you can use jams other than strawberry.
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 4 cups miniature marshmallows
- 1 cup Pioneer Valley Strawberry Jam
- 6 cups Kellogg’s Rice Krispies cereal or equal
Butter a 9 x 13-inch baking pan.
1. In a large pan on the stovetop, melt the butter over low heat. Add the marshmallows. Stir until the mixture is melted and smooth. Add the jam and stir.
2. Add the rice cereal. Stir until the cereal is uniformly combined with the marshmallow mixture.
3. Remove the mixture to the buttered pan. Evenly distribute the mixture and press it down into the pan with buttered fingers, a piece of waxed paper, or a spatula. Let cool and cut into squares.
Baker’s notes: If you use a large enough pan, you can mix the treats right in the pan, not in a bowl. The hot pan makes it a little easier to stir the mixture together and there is less clean-up.
Rice Krispies Treats are best eaten the same day.