Impress your sweetheart–or your family and friends with Cherry blintzes. They are not hard, they just look complicated. We think you’ll like this recipe and even if you have never made crepes before, you can do this.
Cherry blintzes are made up of three parts:
The three parts of the blintzes are assembled and refried. Both the filling and the topping call for Chubby Cherry Filling. If you are having company over or you have hungry teenagers, double this recipe.
Though this is not difficult, if you have never made crepes before, practice on the family before you invite company over. Your family will love you and with one experience under your belt, you’ll be ready for company.
To make the crepes:
Tip! You’ll need a good nonstick pan to cook your crepes. Have used—and sell—a special crepe pan but an eight-inch nonstick frying pan works just fine. And we use the small frying pan often. It’s perfect for sautéing onions and mushrooms or just scrambling some eggs for a couple.
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups milk
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs
- Mix the flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt together in a medium bowl.
- In a small bowl, whisk the milk, extract and two eggs together. Add the liquids to the flour mixture and whisk together until smooth.
- Heat a small skillet or crepe pan until medium hot. Melt some butter in the pan. Pour about a quarter cup of the batter into the preheated pan. Immediately tip and rotate the skillet so that there is a thin coating of batter over the bottom of the pan. Cook until it is light-colored on one side and turn and cook on the second side. Remove the cooked crepe to a plate. Repeat, stacking the crepes between sheets of waxed paper. Cover them to keep warm. This recipe should make 10-12 eight-inch crepes.
Tip! The secret to cooking crepes is to rotate the pan to spread the batter as soon as it hits the hot pan.
To assemble the blintzes:
Place the crepes cooked side up. Squeeze two or three tablespoons of Bavarian Cream Filling and a heaping tablespoon of Chubby Cherry Filling on the bottom half of a crepe. Fold the bottom up. Fold the sides in. Then, roll the crepe up to form a rectangular packet. (See illustrations.) Cover and refrigerate until you are ready to cook your blitzes.
To fry the blintzes:
Melt two tablespoons of butter in the skillet or crepe pan. Place enough blintzes in thepan seam side down to fill the pan. Fry for about two minutes on each side or until golden and crisp. Keep the blintzes warm in the oven setat 250 degrees until ready to serve.
Serve with the Chubby Cherry Topping and whipped cream. Try flavoring you whipped cream with cherry flavor by simply adding 1 tsp. of the flavor to about 2 cups of heavy whipping cream and 1/4 cup sugar.
- Troubleshooting Crêpes
- Berry Vanilla Custard Crepes
- Coconut Mango Paradise Crêpes
- Cherry Jam Cream Cheese Crêpes
Join us at the “How to Bake Cooking Club.”
Follow us. If you would like to follow us and receive more articles and offers, tell us where to send them.
Share this with your friends who love to cook and bake!