A holiday in Denmark often begins with a breakfast of puffy little pastries called aebleskiver (ebleskiver). Traditionally, they are made with an apple filling or served with applesauce (hence their name). Like other great pastries, wonderful variations have evolved. You’ll love aebleskiver with jam fillings and cream cheese fillings.
- 2 cups all-purpose or cake flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 3 large eggs
- 2 cups buttermilk
- filling of your choice
- powdered sugar
- Mix together the flour, salt, and baking soda.
- Separate the eggs, the yolks from the whites. Set the yolks aside. Beat the egg whites until light and fluffy and soft peaks form.
- Add the egg yolks and the buttermilk to the flour mixture and stir until combined. Gently fold the egg whites into the batter.
- Grease your aebleskiver pan with a spray dispenser or with butter (spray your pan again as needed). Heat the pan over medium heat. When hot, fill each cup one-third full with batter. Add a small amount of filling to each. Cover with an additional one-third batter. (Try using our Medium Quick Release Scoop to cleanly drop the batter into the cups.)
- Cook for one to one and one-half minutes before turning. (You can turn your aebleskiver with a toothpick or skewer.) Cook for another minute or until done. Remove to a plate and sprinkle with powdered sugar. Serve warm.
Choose Your Filling!
You can fill your aebleskivers with almost anything from applesauce to frosting. Very light fillings such as whipped toppings, pastry creams, and frostings should be injected with a pastry bag or decorating set.
- Apple aebleskivers: Fill them with apple pastry filling.
- Jam aebleskivers: Use your favorite jam. We’re partial to berry jam or cherry jam.
- Cream Cheese aebleskivers: Use cream cheese filling with your favorite fruit pastry filling.
- Cheese and bacon aebleskivers: Add a cube of cheese and cooked bacon pieces to each aebleskiver.
- Cream Filled Aebleskiver: Fill them with bavarian cream, pastry cream or marshmallow cream.
Make them with a mix!
Aebleskiver can be made with a mix. Make according to the package directions and fill them however you please.