Desserts made with a graham cracker crust and a pie-like filling are always a hit. This one has a creamy filling with added maraschino cherries and chopped nuts.
This is a lighter dessert than a cheesecake or most pies and would follow a holiday meal well. The filling is a very pretty pink, consistent with a holiday or party.
This is a no-bake dessert.
- 1 cup milk
- 1 package Knox unflavored gelatin or equal
- 3 tablespoons cold water
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 cups graham cracker crumbs, about 12 crackers
- 1 8-ounce bottle maraschino cherries, chopped and the liquid saved
- 2/3 cup walnut pieces or chopped pecans
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
Butter a two-quart baking pan or dish.
- Heat the milk in a saucepan to a simmer but do not boil. Dissolve the gelatin in the cold water. Stir the gelatin into the hot milk with a whisk. Stir the granulated sugar into the mixture until the sugar crystals are dissolved. Set aside to cool.
- While cooling, crush the graham crackers.
- Add the maraschino cherry liquid to the milk mixture. Fold the chopped cherries and nuts into the liquid mixture. Chill in the refrigerator.
- When the liquid mixture is completely chilled, whip the cream until firm peaks form. Place half to two-thirds of the crumbs in the bottom of the buttered pan or dish. Fold the whipped cream into the liquid mixture and then spoon the mixture over the crumbs. Sprinkle the reaming crumbs over the top of the dessert. Chill completely in the refrigerator before serving.
Baker’s note: An easy way to chop these cherries is with a plastic cutting board and a mezzaluna. The mezzaluna makes quick work of the cherries and if you use a cutting board with a groove, you can capture any juice and add it to the dessert.