This is an absolutely delicious gelatin salad. It makes a great, cool summer salad and a perfect salad for the holidays. It’s made with strawberries, pineapple, bananas, and cream cheese. No wonder it’s good.
For the base layer:
- 1 8-ounce can crushed pineapple
- 2 cups apple juice
- 3 cups sliced fresh strawberries (about 1 1/2 pounds before trimming and slicing)
- 1 banana, sliced
- 3/4 cup pecan pieces
- 2 3-ounce packages strawberry flavored gelatin
- 1 8-ounce package cream cheese
- 2 tablespoons light mayonnaise
- 2 cups whipped topping such as Dream Whip®
- Drain the pineapple and reserve the juice. Set the drained pineapple aside.
- In a saucepan, bring the apple juice mixture to a boil. Pour the hot juice into a bowl and add the gelatin. Stir to dissolve. Refrigerate until partially set.
- Beat the cream cheese and mayonnaise together until light and fluffy. Fold in the gelatin mixture. Fold in the whipped topping.
- Fold the pineapple, strawberries, sliced banana, and pecans into the remaining cream cheese mixture. Pour into an 8 x 13 pan. Chill until the top sets, about 20 minutes.
For the top layer:
- reserved pineapple juice plus water to make one cup
- 1 packet unflavored gelatin
- 1 cup miniature marshmallows
- 1 cup whipped topping such as Dream Whip
- Bring the juice and water mixture to a boil. Dissolve the unflavored gelatin in the boiling water. Turn the heat down, add the marshmallows and stir until the marshmallows are dissolved. Set aside to cool until tepid but not set.
- Fold in the whipped topping. Spread the topping mixture over the fruit mixture. Chill for several hours before serving.