With only four ingredients and three steps, this is an easy flourless cake. And it’s perfect to make for your sweetheart. As with other flourless chocolate cakes, this is dense and chocolatey.
A simple dusting of powdered sugar makes this cake elegant. Drizzle it with raspberry sauce, raspberry chocolate sauce, or chocolate sauce. Finally add a scoop of vanilla ice cream or a dollop of whipped cream.
Be sure and use good quality, dark cocoa. We use Ramstadt-Breda Dark Cocoa which has three times the cocoa butter of most national brands. This will not be the same with ordinary cocoa. You will also need a quality springform pan with a tight seal. This silicone pan has the best seal that we have found and you can peel the ring from the cake without marring it.
- 8 large eggs
- 1 cup rich, dark cocoa, Ramstadt-Breda or equal
- 1/2 cup butter, melted and cooled slightly
- 1 1/4 cups granulated sugar
Preheat the oven to 325 degrees.
- In your stand-type mixer and with the whip attachment beat the eggs for three minutes at medium speed, until they are bubbly and lighter colored. While the eggs are beating, melt the butter and measure the other ingredients. Measure the cocoa by spooning cocoa into a cup. Do not compress the cocoa.
- Add the sugar and cocoa and beat in. While the mixer is running, drizzle in the melted butter. Continue beating until mixed. Scrape the batter into the pan.
- Bake for 30 to 40 minutes or an insta-read thermometer registers 165 to 170 degrees when inserted into the center of the cake. Cool on a wire rack and then place in the refrigerator to chill. The cake will become dense as it cools. Dust with powdered sugar if you desire.